400 East Fifth Street, EAST LIVERPOOL, OHIO

EXHIBITS

 

exhibits

 
 
LOBBY.jpg

First Floor: Permanent Exhibit

The first floor of the Museum is devoted to the history of the pottery industry and the area.  See yellow ware and Rockingham pieces that were made by the earliest potters in East Liverpool.  Of special interest is a 170 year old "Great Wheel" (potter's wheel), that is one of only six remaining in the U.S.   A large collection of Lotus Ware, a fine bone china made by Knowles, Taylor, and Knowles in the 1890s, is another attraction.  Paintings by Roland Schweinsburg depict the worklife of potters.  A small gift shop features jewelry made from pottery shards of Homer Laughlin China Company's Fiesta Ware.  

 
decorating shop.jpg

Lower Level: Permanent Exhibit

The lower level has two areas of interest.  The first, production, is realized with four life-size dioramas of a jigger shop, kiln, decorating shop, and salesroom.  The other half of the floor is comprised of display cases organized by individual pottery company.  These cases provide a brief company history and exhibit ware that was typical of the specific pottery.. There is also a display of rare, personalized shaving mugs.  

 
luray.jpg

Lu-Ray Pastels

Lu-Ray Pastels is the topic of the new temporary exhibit which opened June 8, 2018.  Lu-Ray Pastels were made by Taylor, Smith, and Taylor Company of Chester, West Virginia.  Named after the Lu-Ray Caverns in Virginia, production of this dinnerware began in 1938 and was produced until 1961. 
A presentation on Lu-Ray was given by Teresa and Greg Benkert of Cincinatti, Ohio for the  Moc Talk lecture series on June 8th.  The Benkerts have been avid collectors of Lu-Ray for over 20 years.  The loan of their collection has made this exhibit possible.  John Voyakovich also contributed greatly to the exhibit and actually proposed the idea for a Lu-Ray exhibition.  The exhibit will run until the Museum closes for winter months in December.